Your Belongings and Storm Damage
How You Can Keep Your Possessions Safe After A Storm in Chicago
We all know about the harsh winds that you can expect several days out of the year here in Chicago, and this same weather phenomenon has been a centerpiece for wind-driven rain damage and structural concerns. While you might not have the experience and the training to remedy these effects on your home after a windstorm, there are steps that you can take to protect your possessions when you fear that flooding might result.
Protecting Your Belongings from Flood Damage
Once structural breaches exist in Chicago homes, it is a considerable challenge to prevent the penetration of floodwater from runoff or wind-driven rain. While part of our fast response during these emergencies is to tarp off damaged roofs and to board up exposed areas of the property, these tasks do not immediately protect at-risk contents and belongings in the house. When you first become aware of a potential flooding situation, you can take fast actions to focus on the possessions that matter most.
• If possible, move at-risk items out of the path of migrating floodwater
• Take pictures of the damaged areas and contents that you could not rescue safely
• Take valuables and keepsakes with you when leaving the premises
While you might not be able to entirely prevent the possibility of storm and flood damage to your home or business, you can take preventative steps to protect your belongings from these events.
If You Have Questions or Need Help, Call Us Today – (773) 434-9100
SERVPRO of West Loop / Bucktown / Greektown specializes in restoring contents damaged by storms and other water damage events. Our expertise and our “restore” versus “replace” mentality can help you save money while preserving precious keepsakes that can’t be replaced. We pretest your contents to determine what items can be restored back to their condition before the water damage. We utilize several methods of cleaning your contents, including:
- Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that can’t withstand cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
If your home requires extensive restoration or cleaning, SERVPRO of West Loop / Bucktown / Greektown can conduct an organized, efficient move-out of the affected area. A move-out will provide several benefits, including:
- A quicker remodeling process
- Protecting items from potential damage
- Protecting contents from further on-site damage
When restoration is completed, we will work with you to coordinate the move-in according to your needs. The services offered upon move-in may depend on your insurance coverage.
Water-damaged electronics can present a serious hazard. Do not attempt to turn on or operate any electrical device that you suspect has been damaged by water. We will coordinate the restoration of your electronics, including:
- Television sets
- DVD players
- And more
The key to restoring electronics is taking prompt action to prevent further damage. We start by cleaning the exterior of electronic devices to help stop further corrosion and damage. Electronics will be cleaned and inspected by a qualified electronics technician.
Document / Photograph Drying
When your valuable documents, including photographs, are damaged by water, extreme caution should be taken to help ensure the water damage does not destroy the document. Although some documents may not be restored to pre-water damage condition, SERVPRO of West Loop / Bucktown / Greektown can save a great deal and help minimize additional damage.
Depending on the type of documents and the level of water damage, we have five options for the restoration of documents:
- Air Drying
- Freezer Drying
- Vacuum Freeze Drying
- Vacuum Thermal Drying
Contents Claim Inventory Service
When a storm event happens, the damage can often feel overwhelming. We can help ease the worry and confusion during the recovery process by offering our Contents Claim Inventory Service (CCIS), which provides a detailed and accurate list of your belongings. We take a room-by-room inventory of your contents, including digital photos, and in some instances, bar coding.
Our Contents Claim Inventory Service:
- Preloss list and value of contents
- Detailed and accurate report
- Better information to settle claims quicker
- Assistance with burden of proof for claims
- Peace of mind when you need it most